Seriously?! 30 bananas in one day? Yes! I have personally experienced the joy of eating dozens of bananas a day and I think you will too.
Listen to episode #30 of my podcast, The 5 AM Miracle: 12 Astounding Reasons to Eat More Bananas Every Single Day
I didn’t believe it was possible to eat a fruit-based diet, let alone eat 30 bananas a day. I thought it was radical, bizarre, and unnecessary . . . . until I tried it.
Why so Many Bananas?
I really do believe bananas are Mother Nature’s greatest creation. It’s amazes me that years after I became a raw vegan I still love them so much.
I eat them every day, in large quantities, and I always go back for more. There’s nothing addictive about bananas and no one is forcing them down my throat. So, what keeps drawing me back?
- They Taste Great ::: It’s hard to argue with natural sugar because it tastes so good.
- Natural Fast Food ::: There is no preparation or cooking required to enjoy a ripe banana. Just peel and eat.
- Great For Smoothies ::: I love starting my day with a fruit smoothie and I always include bananas because they make the texture smooth and add a little sweetness.
- No Guilt ::: I know bananas are incredibly healthy (as you can see in the next section below) and so I don’t feel bad about eating a lot of them. In fact, I feel bad if I don’t!
- Easy to Find ::: Bananas are everywhere. Organic bananas might be a little harder to find, but they are much more common than ever before.
- Very Filling ::: I can eat as many as 10 bananas in a serving and since the average banana is 100 calories, that makes a meal.
- Perfect for Athletes ::: As much as I run, it would be silly not to eat bananas because of the sugar and natural potassium. However, you don’t have to be a certified athlete to reap the benefits. Energy is energy. Dig in!
Health Benefits of Bananas
I will highlight only a few of the many benefits of bananas on this post. Click here to read the full list.
- Low-Fat and Cholesterol Free ::: Ready to lose weight AND improve your heart health? Eat more bananas. This is a no-brainer. 3% Fat and 0% Cholesterol.
- High-Energy Carbs and Potassium ::: There’s a reason athletes, including me, love bananas. The fruit sugar and high potassium content make bananas perfect for any workout.
- Great for Digestion ::: Eating more bananas will fill you up and clean you out. When you eat ripe bananas (covered in brown spots) you will poop like a champ. Go for it!
- Bananas Make You Happy! ::: Bananas regulate your blood sugar, which can bring you out of a funk and even overcome symptoms of depression. From personal experience, bananas make me calmer and happier.
- Stops Itching from Bug Bites ::: This really does work. Rub the inside of a banana peel on a bug bite or sting and the itchiness will decline significantly or stop altogether. I have tried this and it’s true!
It is Possible
I eat an average of 15 bananas a day and I peak around 30 a day during the summer and autumn when I am running more.
So, how is it physically possible to eat that many a one day? Let’s break it down:
- I start the day with 1 liter of water and 5 bananas. It’s easy on my stomach and the sugar helps wake me up.
- I add 2-3 more bananas in my breakfast smoothie.
- I eat another 3 bananas for a mid-morning snack.
- Lunch consists of 6-8 bananas mixed in a smoothie.
- I consume about 3-4 more bananas before my work day ends.
- Finally, I eat a 5-7 bananas before bed (or even in the middle of the night).
I didn’t start here. This is where I am today. If you are considering eating more bananas, start slow. You will give yourself a crazy stomach ache if you eat more than you can handle.
Where did this all begin? I became a vegan a few years ago after watching the documentary EARTHLINGS. A few months later I discovered raw veganism and read Dr. Douglas Graham’s book, The 80/10/10 Diet.
I quickly discovered Mike Arnstein, a fruitarian ultra-runner who eats nothing but raw fruits and vegetables while running (and winning) marathons and ultramarathons all over the world.
After consuming huge amounts of information (and inspiration), I completed a 30-day trial of the 80/10/10 diet. During the course of the trial and I realized the power of bananas.
I discovered how easy they were to eat and in such large quantities. I felt full after eating them and I wanted more later in the day.
Though I did not permanently stick with 80/10/10, I do eat a diet that is based on those principles and bananas are at the center of my food life.
I am a Banana
I’m sure you have heard the phrase, “you are what you eat.” Assuming that phrase was literal, I would be a 6 foot tall, 185-pound banana. Fortunately, it’s only a great metaphor.
In reality, the trillions of cells in your body are fueled by and composed of materials they extract from food. If you eat healthy, nutritious food then your whole body will be healthy and filled with powerful nutrients.
Bananas are powerful. They are incredible creations straight from mother nature that require no preparation, cooking, or alternations.
Bananas are filled with vitamins and nutrients and they are devoid of fat and cholesterol. How could you go wrong?
How Many Bananas Will You Eat?
I challenge you to go out and buy a bunch of bananas. Wait until they are covered in brown spots and then eat as many as you think is reasonable.
Make your long-term goal to consistently eat 10 each day. If you want to be a little ambitious and go for 30, I won’t stop you.
It took me a while to build up to 30 bananas in a single day. Blending is helpful, so start making smoothies regularly.
Oh, and be prepared for everyone in the grocery store or farmers market to ask you about the pet monkey you are feeding.
Question: How many bananas a day do you eat? Let me know in the comments below.